Skip to content
- 1 x 1.6 kg whole free-range chicken
- 1 butternut squash (1.2kg)
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (30g)
- 100 g Thai red curry paste
- 1 x 400 ml tin of light coconut milk
- Sit the chicken in a large, deep pan.
- Carefully halve the squash lengthways, then cut into 3cm chunks, discarding the seeds.
- Slice the coriander stalks, add to the pan with the squash, curry paste and coconut milk, then pour in 1 litre of water. Cover and simmer on a medium heat for 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken to a platter. Spoon any fat from the surface of the soup over the chicken, then sprinkle with half the coriander leaves.
- Serve with 2 forks for divvying up the meat at the table. Use a potato masher to crush some of the squash, giving your soup a thicker texture.
- Taste, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, then divide between six bowls and sprinkle with the remaining coriander.
- Shred and add chicken, as you dig in.