“I love the way Indian food brings out the wonderful perfumes and aromas in the spices. I’ve embraced that, bringing a different texture and flavour to a chopped salad. Great to eat, and fun to make. ”
1 small handful of fresh or dry curry leaves
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 heaped teaspoon mango chutney
4 uncooked poppadoms, optional
½ a cucumber
4 spring onions
1 bunch of radishes
2 little gem lettuce
2 big handfuls of ripe cherry tomatoes
1 fresh red chilli
1 bunch of fresh coriander
1 bunch of fresh mint
- Crumble the curry leaves into a small frying pan on a medium heat. Add a big lug of oil, and the fenugreek and mustard seeds.
- Fry until the mustard seeds start to pop, then stir in the mango chutney. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Puff up the poppadoms by microwaving for a minute or two.
- Peel and grate the carrots on a large board, then chop and add the cucumber, spring onions, radishes, lettuce, tomatoes and chilli (deseed it first), mixing and chopping as you go. Pick over the herb leaves and give it a good final chop.
- Pour over the toasted spices, add a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of sea salt and mix and chop it all up with your knife. If it’s too dry, add extra oil and lemon juice.
- Serve sprinkled with crunched-up poppadoms, and extra dollops of mango chutney, if you fancy.