1 kg boneless lamb leg
5 cloves of garlic
3cm piece of ginger
½ a lime
150 g Greek yogurt
50 ml sunflower oil
35 g papaya paste (see tip)
20 g deggi mirch (see tip)
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 pinch of cumin seeds
1 pinch of ground cumin
- Trim the lamb of fat, then cut into 2.5cm cubes. Prick all over with a fork, then squeeze out any moisture and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Peel and finely grate the garlic and ginger, then mix with 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 1 teaspoon of sea salt and the remaining marinade ingredients.
- Submerge the lamb chunks in the marinade, ensuring they are covered, then pop in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook, preheat the grill to high. Thread the meat onto skewers, keeping them 2.5cm apart.
- Grill the kebabs for 5 minutes, then turn and cook them for another 2 minutes.
- Melt the butter, then use it to baste the kebabs and grill for a final 5 minutes.
- Serve straight away. Delicious with a kachumber salad, coriander leaves and lime wedges on the side.